Angling in a Box
A highly effective programme of personal development designed to give all our young people, especially those in need of further support, the skills and confidence to make positive life choices.
This unique and innovative package allows the successful angling-themed programmes developed by Get Hooked on Fishing to be delivered anywhere in the UK. This is not just about fishing – you will be able to help young people understand that life is full of possibilities.
What’s in the Box?
Our three-part modular programme has been specifically designed to connect with young people, encouraging them to learn new skills and gain qualifications. Our aim is to improve education and employment prospects and help develop self confidence and self-efficacy. Participants who advance through all three modules are provided with a unique peer mentoring and leadership opportunity that creates a continuum of learning and development within the organisation.
Your lesson plans for each of the three modules within one user-friendly document. It includes carefully created notes to ensure quality and consistency for the delivery of our programme throughout the UK. We pride ourselves on connecting with young people and this resource will help you do just that.
An accredited introduction to angling. It covers basic fishing as well as aspects of the Countryside Code and Health and Safety. Delivered over two days or weekly over 5-6 weeks through tutor slides and student workbooks, it is a clear and succinct system enabling any coordinator to deliver the programme.
GHOF’s introduction to peer mentoring and personal development. Students who have completed Module 1, have shown improved behaviour and an interest in helping others will be selected. Selection is not based on pure angling ability, but on showing a willingness to learn and take part. Topics covered include:
- Advanced fishing techniques
- Introduction to peer mentoring
- Planning coaching sessions
- Understanding choices
- Understanding learning styles
Module 2 takes 30-40 hours to deliver and is best delivered weekly. Students will also get an introduction to coaching new Module 1 students.
The final piece in the peer mentoring and coaching jigsaw. Delivered on a three/four day residential scheme, the aim is for young people to become fully-fledged peer mentors and coaches. This module includes:
- Advanced coaching techniques
- Introduction to carp and predator fishing techniques
- Project management
- Designing your own fishery
- Introduction to goal setting
- Introduction to life coaching
A young person’s journey through the modules takes between 9 months and a year.
Over four days we equip you with the knowledge and tools needed to work with young people as an AIB tutor. We ensure that the delivery of the AIB programme is a positive learning experience for both you and the young person.
Everything you need to know about running the Angling in a Box programme:
- GHOF aims and objectives
- A description of the modular AIB programme
- Delivery and best practice guidance
- Monitoring and evaluation guidance
- How peer mentoring works
- Our GHOF/AIB systems and protocols
- How to set up an angling club
- Twelve full sets of angling equipment (including reels, hooks, storage boxes)
- Lesson plans, guidance notes, student workbooks, risk assessments, templates
- Complete ‘How to’ guide for running a GHOF/AIB programme
- Support with accessing additional funding to ensure future sustainability
- Training package on how to integrate angling and personal development
- Peer mentoring advice and guidance
- Telephone helpline and support from a regional manager
- Access to a Home Office approved database for monitoring and evaluation
If this sounds like something you want to get involved in - please contact us
You can also download the full report